Last week, an Auburn fan was shot by an Alabama fan after an argument over which football team is better this season (the two teams play each other Saturday in the Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala.).
Let’s go over that again: An Alabama fan shot the fan of another team because he felt compelled to defend his football team’s honor.
An aberration for an Alabama fan? Perhaps. And perhaps not.
- Earlier this season, father and son Alabama fans were charged with battery after a fight during the Florida State-Alabama game (and the Tide won that game).
- In 2013, an Alabama fan shot and killed another fan for not feeling “bothered by the loss” to Auburn.
- In 2010, an Alabama fan punched a South Carolina fan to the ground in the tailgate area after the Tide lost to the Gamecocks. The fallen South Carolina fan was then run over by a truck and killed. The Alabama fan was sentenced to five years in prison.
- In 2008, an Alabama fan shot and killed an LSU couple after a post-game argument.
- In 2003, an Alabama fan shot at his son, who asked him for a car. According to the story, the son blamed the dispute mainly on his father’s anger over Alabama’s 34-31 loss to Arkansas.
Want to find more Bama Rage? Just Google it.
That’s why it’s important this week for Auburn to just lay down and lose. I know a lot is on the line for the Tigers — the “state title,” possible SEC Championship, possible College Football Playoff berth — but I implore them to think of their fellow man. This Bama Rage — this violence — must stop! Just lose Auburn. Take a dive … and then quickly get out of the way.
Get to pickin’
Here are my picks for Week 13, again, without even thinking:
Alabama at Auburn: 34-28, Auburn. No Kick Six this time, but Tigers are tough to beat at home.
Clemson at South Carolina: 28-21, Clemson. Giving the Gamecocks a fighting chance, but the Tigers will prevail.
Miami at Pitt: 31-24, Miami. Hurricanes won’t be stopped by the cold weather.
Georgia at Georgia Tech: 35-17, Georgia. Have to think the Bulldog defense can hold off the Jackets.
Iowa State at Kansas State: 38-35, Kansas State. Wildcats carry the momentum from last week’s victory over Oklahoma State.
West Virginia at Oklahoma: 48-14, Oklahoma. C’mon, Mountaineers. Just shake his hand.
Ohio State at Michigan: 45-24, Ohio State. It’s going to get hot for Wolverines coach Jim Harbaugh after this one.
Wisconsin at Minnesota: 38-10, Wisconsin. No Gophers are going to stop these undefeated Badgers.
Notre Dame at Stanford: 24-17, Notre Dame. Irish will win, but it won’t be easy.
Washington State at Washington: 38-27, Washington. Huskies will keep the Apple Cup.
Now here’s some really fast, no-thinking picks, winners only:
Virginia Tech, Boston College, Duke, N.C. State, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa, Purdue, Penn State, Michigan State, Northwestern, UCLA, Arizona State, Oregon, Utah, Mississippi State, Florida State, Louisville, Vanderbilt, LSU …
Navy, Central Florida, Memphis, SMU, Connecticut, Tulsa, Western Kentucky, North Texas, UAB, Florida Atlantic, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, UT-San Antonio, Toledo, Northern Illinois, Ohio, San Diego State, UNLV, Fresno State, Wyoming, Hawaii, Utah State, Troy, Georgia State, Arkansas State, New Mexico State, Louisiana-Lafayette.
Not thinking last week: 48-19 (72 percent);
Not thinking for the season: 555-185 (75 percent)
- Week 14 college football picks … the picks of Champions
- Week 13 college football picks … Stop the madness! Just let Bama win
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 18, 2017
- Week 12 college football picks … stop picking on me!
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 11, 2017
- Week 11 college football picks … them’s fightin’ words
- ESPN GameDay signs for Nov. 4
- Week 10 college football picks … again with the ‘poison,’ Nick?
- ESPN College GameDay signs for Oct. 28, 2017
- Week 9 college football picks … this time with an important message