A few things you might have missed during the REAL opening weekend of the college football season.
Howard quarterback Caylin Newton, brother of Carolina Panthers quarterback and Heisman winner Cam Newton, led Howard, a 45-point underdog, to a 43-40 victory over UNLV. Caylin Newton had 330 yards total offense and three touchdowns.
But the real winners were those few who bet on Howard.
While no sports book in Las Vegas was offering a money-line on the Bison, they were listed at odds between 550-1 and over 700-1 offshore, according to various reports. A $100 bet on Howard could have netted $71,500.
Blind long snapper
Jake Olson was diagnosed with as retinoblastoma, a rare form of eye cancer, that cost him his left eye when he was a toddler. He battled to keep the sight in his right eye, but he lost after 12 years.
So when you lose your sight as a teenager, what do you do? When you’re Jake Olson, you don’t stop pursuing your dream.
Olson made headlines Saturday when he entered the Western Michigan-USC game as a long snapper, fulfilling his dream to play for his beloved Trojans.
In a message posted to his Twitter account, Olson said: “(Saturday) I was fortunate enough to achieve a lifelong dream and snap in a game for the USC Trojans. I cannot possibly thank all the people who have played a role in making this happen, but there are some people who I feel deserve special shout-outs. Mom, Dad, and Emma, none of this would have been possible without you guys.”
Olson is familiar with this role. He was a long snapper for Lutheran High School, a private school in Orange, Calif. He also was on the Lutheran varsity golf team, shooting in the 80s.
Coolest new tradition
Iowa fans at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday did a wave like no other. In the middle of the Hawkeyes’ game against Wyoming, kids and parents at school’s new Stead Family Children’s Hospital, which over looks the stadium, stood at the window and waved at the fans. And the fans waved back.
- Week 14 college football picks … the picks of Champions
- Week 13 college football picks … Stop the madness! Just let Bama win
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 18, 2017
- Week 12 college football picks … stop picking on me!
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 11, 2017
- Week 11 college football picks … them’s fightin’ words
- ESPN GameDay signs for Nov. 4
- Week 10 college football picks … again with the ‘poison,’ Nick?
- ESPN College GameDay signs for Oct. 28, 2017
- Week 9 college football picks … this time with an important message