The flooding issues in Houston as a result of devastating Hurricane Harvey has forced the LSU-BYU season-opener, the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff, from Houston’s NRG Stadium to the Superdome in New Orleans.
ESPN, which will televise the Saturday, 8:30 p.m. CT contest, made the announcement Monday evening. The Advocate of Baton Rouge, La., also reported the switch.
This marks the second season in a row that weather changed the LSU schedule. Last season, Hurricane Matthew caused LSU’s game against Florida to be relocated from Gainesville, Fla., to Baton Rouge.
“First and foremost, we are keeping the citizens of the Houston region, and the thousands of first responders, in our thoughts during this very difficult time,” said Pete Derzis, ESPN senior vice president of college sports programming and events.
“Over the last 72 hours, we have been in constant contact with all entities involved, including our partners at the Lone Star Sports & Entertainment, the SEC and both institutions. Ultimately, the decision was made to move forward with the relocation.
“During the last few days, we were overwhelmed with the outreach by the communities offering to host this event, specifically, Dallas, Jacksonville, Nashville, New Orleans, Orlando and San Antonio. We have great partners within those cities through the Football Bowl Association and we appreciate their energy in finding a solution.
“Efforts are underway in New Orleans and we will work with the fans, the Superdome, the New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau and both schools throughout the week to ensure the most optimal game day experience for all.”
LSU, BYU tickets
LSU also announced tickets and parking passes purchased through the LSU ticket office for the AdvoCare Texas Kickoff will be automatically refunded beginning Tuesday. Ticketholders can expect to see the balance of their purchase refunded by September 5.
- Week 14 college football picks … the picks of Champions
- Week 13 college football picks … Stop the madness! Just let Bama win
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 18, 2017
- Week 12 college football picks … stop picking on me!
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 11, 2017
- Week 11 college football picks … them’s fightin’ words
- ESPN GameDay signs for Nov. 4
- Week 10 college football picks … again with the ‘poison,’ Nick?
- ESPN College GameDay signs for Oct. 28, 2017
- Week 9 college football picks … this time with an important message