The SEC Media Week starts Monday and there’s a decent chance we can see another classic rant from Alabama coach Nick Saban.
The event, which continues through Thursday (July 10-13), will be held at the Hyatt Regency Birmingham – Wynfrey Hotel in Hoover, Ala.
Once again, the Worldwide Leader (ESPN) and South-wide Leader (SEC Network) will be there to film enough content to get them both through July and August. Every coach, player, fan, fellow reporters … all will be part of the conglomeration of content.
But beware of Saban.
The Alabama coach has a reputation of snapping at even the most benign questions. Judging from the weekly news conferences, Saban’s penchant for lashing out at reporters has left some in the media a bit gun shy.
As a public service precaution to all media types, here’s a rundown of topics to avoid when asking Saban a question this week.
Question on NCAA rules
Question on his schedule
Question about recruiting
Question about his offense
Questions about his defense
Question about his players
Question about his coaches
So in review, in order to keep things calm, don’t ask Nick Saban about players, coaches, offense, defense, recruiting, schedule or the NCAA rules. Simple enough.
How to set a Saban fire …
However … if you actually would like to see a Saban rant, here are some suggested questions:
- You’ve said you’ll never get over the losses to Clemson, in the 2017 national championship, or to Auburn in 2013. How do you feel about that 2007 loss to Louisiana-Monroe?
- Why do YOU think you’re a better coach than Bear Bryant?
- When he was your offensive coordinator, how often did Jim McElwain express to you a strong desire to ride a shark naked?
- Can you understand what Ed Orgeron is saying? I mean, really?
- Would you have voted for Tommy Tuberville for governor?
- Can you say more about that Tin-Horn Defense you used against Georgia Southern?
- What do you think about Lebron James taking off all those games in the middle of the NBA season? He’s a big pussy, right?
- Where is Mercer?
- Lane Kiffin? … So what’s up with you and that dude? And for the Coke bottle, the same question.
And if by some chance the snappish response to your question is “what would you do?” or “what do you think?” … remember to say “I don’t answer hypotheticals, coach.”
Feel free to include more suggestions in the comments below.
SEC Media Week schedule
Monday, July 10
Arkansas – Bret Bielema
LSU – Ed Orgeron
Tennessee – Butch Jones
Tuesday, July 11
Florida – Jim McElwain
Georgia – Kirby Smart
Vanderbilt – Derek Mason
Mississippi State – Dan Mullen
Wednesday, July 12
Alabama – Nick Saban
Kentucky – Mark Stoops
Missouri – Barry Odom
Texas A&M – Kevin Sumlin
Thursday, July 13
Auburn – Gus Malzahn
Ole Miss – Hugh Freeze
South Carolina – Will Muschamp
- Week 14 college football picks … the picks of Champions
- Week 13 college football picks … Stop the madness! Just let Bama win
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 18, 2017
- Week 12 college football picks … stop picking on me!
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 11, 2017
- Week 11 college football picks … them’s fightin’ words
- ESPN GameDay signs for Nov. 4
- Week 10 college football picks … again with the ‘poison,’ Nick?
- ESPN College GameDay signs for Oct. 28, 2017
- Week 9 college football picks … this time with an important message