Well, maybe miracle is overstating it. How about this: Another Draft Day Coincidence! ….
Flashback to last season’s Sun Bowl, North Carolina quarterback Mitch Trubisky led the Tar Heels to a touchdown with 1:09 left in the game to close Stanford’s lead to two points (25-23). His attempt to run in the two-point conversion failed. Stanford went on to win the game.
Trubisky was 23 of 39 for 280 yards with two touchdowns passing. But he also had two interceptions and two sacks. One of those sacks came on the Tar Heels’ next-to-last drive, which was forced UNC to punt, down 25-17 when it desperately needed to maintain control the ball. The defender who got the sack was Stanford’s Solomon Thomas.
Last week, San Francisco traded the No. 2 pick to Chicago, which stunned many draft followers — and even some of its own fans — by picking Trubisky. And who did the 49ers pick at No. 3? Yep, Thomas.
Maybe the 49ers saw something they liked in the game film.
Moving on …
The bowl-skippers: Since players like Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, and, to a certain extent, Jabril Peppers didn’t see their Draft Day stock plummet after skipping meaningless bowls games, perhaps this will start a trend. And perhaps that will lead to the CFP expanding to eight teams.
Saban out-earns The Bear: SECCountry.com credits Darren Rovell’s observations that Nick Saban’s new contract means 1) Saban makes 74 times what Bear Bryant made coaching Alabama 60 seasons ago (factoring in inflation) and 2) will make more than 92 times what Alabama’s governor Kay Ivey will make this year.
Fool me once: Quarterback Sheriron Jones has transferred from Tennessee for a second time, which I believe breaks the previous record held by many (one transfer from a single school).
- Week 14 college football picks … the picks of Champions
- Week 13 college football picks … Stop the madness! Just let Bama win
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 18, 2017
- Week 12 college football picks … stop picking on me!
- ESPN College GameDay Signs Nov. 11, 2017
- Week 11 college football picks … them’s fightin’ words
- ESPN GameDay signs for Nov. 4
- Week 10 college football picks … again with the ‘poison,’ Nick?
- ESPN College GameDay signs for Oct. 28, 2017
- Week 9 college football picks … this time with an important message
And now, an 81-yard field goal by Florida’s Eddie Pineiro …
— Eddy Piñeiro (@eddypineiro1) May 2, 2017