The Sports Business Journal released its 50 most influential people in sports business Tuesday, and Big Ten commissioner Jim Delaney is highest ranked personality directly related to college athletics.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver tops the list, followed by Bob Iger (Disney) and John Skipper (ESPN) — tied for second — and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
Though several of those ranked may be indirectly associated with college sports (agents, owners, media moguls), Delaney, ranked No. 31, is the only one directly attached. He ranked higher than NCAA commissioner Mark Emmert (No. 40).
Some missing notables: SEC commissioner Mike Slive, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott and Alabama football coach Nick Saban.
The top 10:
- 1. Adam Silver, NBA
- 2. Bob Iger, The Walt Disney Co. / John Skipper, ESPN
- 3. Roger Goodell, NFL
- 4. Ari Emanuel / Patrick Whitesell, WME-IMG
- 5. Rob Manfred, Major League Baseball
- 6. Mark Lazarus, NBC Sports Group
- 7. David Levy, Turner Broadcasting System
- 8. Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys
- 9. Bob Bowman, Major League Baseball
- 10. Gary Bettman, NHL